Pablo Quintanilla has secured a close runner-up result on the day’s timed special stage and is now the rally’s provisional overall leader with three out of 10 stages contested in Peru.
Featuring a mixture of dune riding and some mountain passes, Quintanilla enjoyed a mistake-free stage to cross the line with the second-fastest time of the day. In a total time of more than four hours, Pablo was 15 seconds slower than Yamaha’s de Soultrait and now holds an 11-minute lead at the top of the rally’s overall standings.
Thursday’s stage five of this year’s Dakar is also the first part of the two-day long marathon stage. It features a 405km timed special stage in a total distance of 511km. The stage will bring competitors to the Moquegua bivouac where they will have to prepare their machines for the next day without any external assistance.
2019 Dakar Rally – Stage 3 Provisional Classification
1. Xavier de Soultrait (Yamaha) 04:07:42
2. Pablo Quintanilla (Husqvarna) 04:07:57
3. Kevin Benavides (Honda) 04:10:19
4. Adrien Van Beveren (Yamaha) 04:14:24
5. Sam Sunderland (KTM) 04:16:08
6. Paulo Goncalves (Honda) 04:17:13
2019 Dakar Rally – Provisional Overall Standings After Stage 3
1. Pablo Quintanilla (Husqvarna) 08:34:28
2. Kevin Benavides (Honda) 08:45:51
3. Sam Sunderland (KTM) 08:46:40
4. Adrien Van Beveren (Yamaha) 08:47:57
5. Toby Price (KTM) 08:49:45
6. Xavier de Soultrait (Yamaha) 08:51:20